Wood Expansion & Contraction Tips:
- Before installing hardwoods, the house should be closed in, with all outside doors and windows in place.
- The temperature and relative humidity should be maintained at occupancy levels for at least five days.
- Depending on weather conditions, plaster should be allowed to dry for at least a week or more, and sheet rock for at least two days.
- Excess moisture anywhere in the house should be allowed to evaporate.
- Use a humidifier in winter and an air conditioner and dehumidifier in the summer to maintain relative humidity between 40 to 50 percent.
Measuring For Hardwood Flooring:
- When ordering hardwood flooring you'll need the square feet of the area to be covered - to find the square feet simply measure the length of the area by the width of the area. The result will be the number of square feet you'll need to order. We recommend ordering 5% more than actual room size(s) to allow for waste when cutting to fit.
Door Care & Finishing:
- CARE AND FINISHING INSTRUCTIONS FOR INTERIOR DOORS & PRE-HUNG UNITS
- Deliver door(s) to building site after plaster or cement is dry.
- Handle all doors with clean gloves and equipment.
- Avoid dragging doors across one another or across other surfaces.
- Store flat on a level surface in a dry, well-ventilated area; avoid stacking on end. (Door slabs only.)
- Cover doors to keep clean; allow air circulation.
- Avoid subjecting doors to abnormal heat, extreme dryness, humid conditions or sudden changes in climate. They should be conditioned to average prevailing relative humidity of the locality prior to hanging.
- If doors are to be stored on the job site for more than a week; the entire door, including the top and bottom edges, must be sealed.
- Pre-hung doors should be stored standing up, but raised off any concrete floor, cover and seal... same as above.
- Surface should be clean and dry. All doors are mill-finished and require finish-sanding at job site.
- Clean doors thoroughly after sanding to remove all dust or foreign material. (Small amounts of grease or oil can be wiped clean with mineral spirits.)
- Make sure all surfaces are sealed and finished, including the top, bottom and side edges of stiles and rails. Incomplete finishing will increase the probability of warpage or twisting.
S4S Lumber :
- S4S LUMBER (surfaced 4 sides - sanded 1)
- SE - Square Edge Flooring: flush surface (no groove between pieces). Must be sanded and finished AFTER being nailed down to achieve a flush finish. Not available pre-finished.
- MV - Micro V-Groove Flooring: micro-v groove between pieces.
- VG - V-Groove Flooring: slight v-groove between pieces.
- EM - End-Matched Flooring: solid random length (16" - 54") pieces tongue & groove 4 sides.
- FJ - Finger-Jointed: smaller pieces joined together to make an 8 foot length, tongue & groove 2 sides, ends are square cut.
- CH - Character Grade - The flooring will have more variation in color and texture and contain more knots giving a more rustic appearance.